In War and Peace

A Collection of Blogs that depict the Quintessential American... In War and Peace...

My StumbleUpon Page

Thursday, September 07, 2006

A Democratic Dictatorship by Jacob G. Hornberger



A Democratic Dictatorship by Jacob G. Hornberger: "Of course, there are those who say, “The situation is not really that serious. President Bush is a good man. He can be trusted to do the right thing. He won’t abuse these powers. He’s exercised them against only a few Americans.”

They’re missing some important points. One is that no matter how good a man President Bush is, dictatorships are the opposite of liberty and, therefore, are morally wrong, no matter how good or benevolent the dictator is. Moreover, once dictatorial powers are relinquished to a “good man,” there is no assurance that he won’t become a bad man or that a bad man will not succeed him. A good test is: Would I want the most despicable character I can think of – say, Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin, or Mao Zedong – to have any of these powers over me and my country? If your answer is “No,” then your answer should be the same with respect to George W. Bush."

And that, my friends, is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, period.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

My StumbleUpon Page